+ Reply to Thread

Default making a chandelier

Hi Everyone,

I have just finished building a new apartment and I am making a chandelier for the dining room. The arms are made from relatively thin Birch tree branches and i would like the wire leading to the sockets to be as unobtrusive as possible. i believe that i have to use 18 guage wire(as i have read in a few other posts) but lamp cord is WAY to thick. Can anyone tell me my options?

robert

Default Re: making a chandelier

can you channel the branches to lay the wire inside them?
    Debby in Oklahoma

hi debby,

i am going to channel them a bit but i still need the thinnest type of wire that i can use without worrying about an electrical fire.

r

The lighting you use can greatly decrease the size of wire you need. Led take smaller wires. You can hide the "transformer" for other types of systems in the ceiling
    Debby in Oklahoma

Minimum size wire for fixtures allowed by code is 18 ga. You might take a look at stranded wire at your local big box store. The coating on this type of wiring is thiner than lamp cord.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

debbie,

can you give an example of what to google? i need a light that would be bright and a socket that also is relatively small. thanks for the help!

I would suggest you check out LED lighting. Some of the newer LEDs are quite bright and use low voltage.

I would like to point out however that code requirements and rating are two different things. 18 ga wire is rated for 16 amps for chassis wiring, but code requires 18 ga as the smallest allowable for fixture wiring even if it it draws only 1 amp. Low voltage wiring however can be smaller gauge.

Jack

LEDs would be low voltage and low current so smaller wiring my be utilized while low voltage (12v) lighting would require larger wiring.

I was just pointing out that there is a diferance between coded requirments and rating. NEC is coded requirments and has a significant saftey margin built in, we used rating in designing control panels.
    Jack

Yes, some of the new LEDs look like spot lights on 4 volts. I can remeber when you couldn't even see an LED is daylight.
    Jack

Hay, you could put some of those deer antlers to work.
    Jack