+ Reply to Thread

Default hardwiring light fixture

I am hardwiring a light fixture to a gfci outlet that simply has one set black, white and green wires into the "line" side of the outlet and nothing else. Do I connect the white/green and copper lines from the wire from the fixture to the "load" side and that's it? What if I have installed a little push switch on the light. How does that fit into the diagram? The switch has two black wires coming out of it. Help? Please?

Default Re: hardwiring light fixture

well, you can connect the light a couple ways. #1 you can put the light on the load side of the gfi, which it will be protected by the gfi. simply put the black wire on the hot side and white on the neutral, and pig tail the ground. #2 you can kill the circuit, and pig tail the hot, neutral, and ground and re-land the pig tails on to your outlet. now if you want to put a swith in there all you have to do is put the switch in line with the hot, or black wire. simply hook one wire of the switch to the hot on the gfi. then hook the other wire of switch to the black wire on the light. The rest of the light gets hooked up the same. white to neutral.. if any of this doesnt make sense to you, id suggest to call someone!!!

The ground wires are not shown but need to be connected.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks guys! I had a feeling it was that straightforward. One more thing... The wiring is going from the fixture to the plug via behind the vinyl siding. It is that white, rubber covered, three wire cord that the hardware store guy told me to use. Is that going to be okay behind my siding? I am only going to be operating the light in good weather, maybe 3 hours per week during the summer. Problem?

Oh, and one more thing... Where do I connect the ground wire that is on the fixture? The fixture will be attached to the house with a metal plate attached to the siding with 4 inch screws going into the wood siding underneath the vinyl.

I hope you mean 14 ga NM cable with white, black, and bare wire. The bare wire is the ground. You would wire nut the light fixture ground wire to the bare wire the other end should be wire nutted to the bare wire in the outlet box. I am not a fan of running wire under siding, its to easy to have someone punch a hole through the siding into the wiring. And a metal plate and 4" screws is not the way you mount an outside fixture.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-29-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Where do I attach the ground wire coming from the wall (fixture) to the gfci? The line ground is already there. And, no 4" screws?

You have a ground wire connected to the GFCI. Remove it and wire nut it to the bare wire going to the light and a short piece of bare wire that will then be reconnected to the GFCI.

If I were installing the outside light, i would install a 4X4 box in the wall, cut the siding and install a vinyl box cover made for this then attach the light to the box. And I would install the wiring inside the wall not under the siding.
    Jack