+ Reply to Thread

Default Getting Started on Refinishing Hardwood Floors

This is my first major DIY project and I'm not quite sure how to get started. I have a 100 year old house with what I'm pretty sure will be beautiful hard wood under a layer of peel and stick floor and the a layer of linoleum. All of my information on the kitchen floors is based off of the area under the dish washer. I used to work in disaster recovery so I am pretty familiar with tools but only when it comes to being given a specific task. So my question is does anyone have a book or website recommendation that will literally walk me through from the very beginning? Also anyone have an estimated cost on this project?
    More simply, I really just need some help figuring out how to get started.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Getting Started on Refinishing Hardwood Floors

First of course is removing the peel and stick and the linoleum. You might want to check out the Fein Multimaster, the Rockwell clone of the Multimatster, or the Dremel oscillating tool. A lot of the problem is going to be determined by what was used to glue down the linoleum. One the wood is exposed check for raised nails or tacks. If the floor is in fair shape I wood recommend you rent a random orbital floor sander rather than a drum sander. The RO sander is much easier to use without creating gouges like a drum sander and you can sand all the way to the edge so you won't need and edge sander. Thoroughly vacuum the floor often while sanding and go through all the grits. Once the floor is sanded vacuum, let dust settle and vacuum, let the dust settle and vacuum again. Wipe down the floor with a tack cloth and apply stain is desired. I would stay away from stain sealers such as Minwax. Follow manufacturers directions, and wipe off excess stain. Let dry for at least 24 hours. Apply a good grade of oil based poly rated for floors. You will need to apply 3 coats. I recommend "OldMasters" brand poly. It dries to a very durable finish and is extremely good at self leveling when applied. That means you can just about slop it on and it will dry with little or no brush mark and be smooth and level.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb