+ Reply to Thread

Question Propane Powered Line Trimmers?

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Craftsman propane powered line trimmer from Sears. I'm in need of a new trimmer and prefer to stay away from mixing gas. Battery operated ones are ok but you can't put an edger on them. So this one would give me, hopefully, the best of both worlds. No gas mixing, enough power(?), better for the environment (less pollution) and versatile. But its new and I hate to buy in to a bad idea? Anyone with any thoughts or testimonials welcome. I went to the store to check it out and there were 3 in the return bin. I asked why and of course the store folks had no idea. I was really wondering why they were coming back. Perhaps it was the manual (professional style) string loading.

Default Re: Propane Powered Line Trimmers?

I like the idea, however the ones that I have seen (not Craftsman ) run on the disposable bottles of propane, not refillable tanks which IMHO completely negates any benefits of using propane over mixed gas. What good is "saving the environment" using a cleaner burning gas, when you are also filling the landfill with the tanks? You could probably convert it to run on a backpack bottle of propane, but you'll nearly double the cost of the tool when factoring the backpack rack and 5 pound bottle. The saving grace is that the 5 pound bottle will be refillable. I would also question just how long those small bottles will last, my suspicion, not much longer than a normal tank of mixed gas, which means this will be a very expensive machine to run. Other than these two issues, it should have just as much power and ability as a normal mixed gas machine of comparable size.

Final thought, you mentioned running an edger on it. Make sure that it has all the attachments you want, or can be fitted with what you want.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It does come with all the normal attachments. It's on the same platform as their gas version. All good points you raised but my main concern with the machine is well its a first generation product and I'm just not sure how it will last. Granted its just a variation of a well established gas engine but being the first always concerns me. I'm ok with it costing just a little more to run as I said maintenance should be less and not having to mix gas and waste what's not used is a big plus for me.

FYI: The advertised run time on 1 bottle is 2 hours.

FYI: I have read that you can fill those small propane bottles yourself which would mean nothing to the landfill. The trick I saw was to chill (freezer) the small bottle and you'll get a full refill.

Wink Re: Propane Powered Line Trimmers?

I found an coupler for refilling the bottles on Amazon. The link is below.

http://www.amazon.com/Mac-Coupler-Pr...ef=pd_sbs_ol_4

My experience with most of the small disposable canisters is that they leak after the first time they're used. This may or may not be a problem as long as you keep the canister attached to the equipment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thanks. Good to know.