+ Reply to Thread

Default Laminate vs. Hardwood Flooring

We're replacing the carpeting in our house with either laminate flooring (Tecsun) or hardwood. I have to be honest, we both really like the Tecsun laminate flooring. Does anyone out here have laminate flooring? If so, how does it wear?

Default Re: Laminate vs. Hardwood Flooring

I see so many horrible laminate install jobs.

I also hate the layout that has more than one picture of a board on a piece of laminate. When you lay a real wood floor, you never end two adjacent boards at the same spot.

I put an Armstrong Bruce laminate in my kitchen, and I must say that it was easy, quick, and looks great. I picked a style that only has the picture of one board on each piece of laminate, so you have to look to see that it is not hardwood.

But then I found that the surface of the laminate is harder than the laminate base, so it is possible to crack the surface with any hard object. I now have one dent in my floor, and it is irritating.

If you do decide to put down a laminate floor, take your time, and use a good saw blade. Start with a fresh one, and you might need to change to a new one halfway through your project. By 3/4 of the way through my 12x14 kitchen, we were 'burning' through the planks and needed to change blades. A 'chop' saw with a fence is a better choice than the circular saws that you see on so many home shows.

It also bears to note that there's a huge difference between a solid wood flooring, a wood laminate flooring, and a man-made laminate flooring.

1 - Solid wood, of course, is a single solid plank.
    2 - Wood laminate is alternating layers of wood, the core and base are usually pine with the surface being whatever premium grade real wood you're looking for.
    3 - Man-made laminate is an mdf or melamine core with a photo finish surface. Photo finish is basically a "picture" that is glued to the surface.

Solid wood will wear the best and can be refinished more times than you'll likely be around to see. They are usually nailed down as the preferred method of installation.

Wood laminates, depending on the brand and thickness of the surface wood layer can usually be refinished from 1 to 3 or 4 times. Bruce and most of the inexpensive brands would be onece or twice if you're lucky. Kahrs (pronounced cares ) brand can be refinished 3 to 4 times before you've worn through the surface layer.

Man-made laminates, IMHO, look cheap and you'll be lucky to get 3 to 5 years out of it before replacing. It is not refinishable, and as jkirk mentioned, any damaged marks will stand out far more.

When weighing the costs of each type of flooring, also consider the installation price, longevity, and replacement cost. Cheap today means spending more later to fix, repair, or replace.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    to put things in perspective, comparing laminate to real hardwood is like comparing guiness draught to a cheap local beer or home brew. you just know its just not the real deal
    lol, that a very good analogy -well put!
    For all of you Hidden Content needs in Massachusetts & RI
    If you're in need of a new Hidden Content or Hidden Content click here.
    Or if you looking for new Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I have installed laminated wood flooring from Cadilla Carpets. I am using it for about three years and is working well till now. They had a lot of options to select from and we chose the speciality hardwoods. On selecting the dealer, make sure that they offer quality products. The engineered construction of bamboo flooring can result you a durable product. Yet you need to take care of it keenly. There are chances for bamboo flooring to get marked.
    cadillaccarpet.com can provide you more details.

As far as longevity and wear, go with the hardwood. The laminate just doesn't hold up as well and when it comes time to sell again you'll be glad you did.

Laminated flooring has grabbed the attention of several homeowners for immense reasons. Appearance, durability, ease of maintenance, and cost are all very persuasive factors for homeowners considering a laminated floor installation

Quote Originally Posted by stellawinslet View Post
    Laminated flooring has grabbed the attention of several homeowners for immense reasons. Appearance, durability, ease of maintenance, and cost are all very persuasive factors for homeowners considering a laminated floor installation
    And this answers the OP's question how?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i was wondering the same thing spruce.

ive been back into homes i worked on 5 years earlier with both laminate and hardwood. the hardwood has character now where as the laminate needs to be replaced if it hasnt already
    fire up the saw and make some dust