+ Reply to Thread

Question Replacing ceiling fan wires that are too short

Is there a way to replace the wires that go from the fan housing to the ceiling? I want to move a fan to a new location that will requires a longer pole. Is there a place that sells a kit, or the new wire? And can the wires be removed from the plastic harness without destroying it?

Default Re: Replacing ceiling fan wires that are too short

Sure, just butt splice additional wire that is of the same color, gauge and stranded. I would stagger the splices so that they fit better in the “pole”. Just use butt splice crimp connectors that are sized properly for the gauge of wire that you have and also a crimp tool and not just a pair of pliers.

If you are not sure what butt splice crimp connectors are just ask the person in the electrical isle at the hardware store. They look like this:

Last edited by NEC; 06-26-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Default Re: Replacing ceiling fan wires that are too short

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Sure, just butt splice additional wire that is of the same color, gauge and stranded. I would stagger the splices so that they fit better in the “pole”. Just use butt splice crimp connectors that are sized properly for the gauge of wire that you have and also a crimp tool and not just a pair of pliers.

If you are not sure what butt splice crimp connectors are just ask the person in the electrical isle at the hardware store. They look like this:

That works for me as well.