+ Reply to Thread

Default Type of lumber to use for raised veggie garden

HI I purchased a raised bed stacking joint system from Harris Seed Co. which is designed to be used with 2" x 6 " lumber
    Home Depot told me to use pressure treated (I know that is not right it's a veggie garden) One lumber yard told be to use construction heart redwood at a cost of $22.50 per 10 ft board. Another lumber yard told me to use cedar at a cost of $23.50 per 10 ft. board. I called Harris Seed they told me to use pine board it would be about a third of the cost and in 5 to 6 years I may have to start replacing some boards. I would need 8 2" x 6" X 8ft and also 16 2" x 6" x 10ft to complete this project. I live in Alabama about 2 miles from the GA border. Which lumber should I use?

Default Re: Type of lumber to use for raised veggie garden

Redwood, cedar, cyprus and teak are all naturally rot resistant.

Personally I've used pressure treated landscape timbers and they lasted about 12 years before the elements got to them, about the same amount of time for redwood... for comparison plain ol' construction grade 2x12's painted with a couple of coats of latex paint have held up over 15 years and still look good.

I agree with Harris Seed.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Quote Originally Posted by BSig View Post
    HI I purchased a raised bed stacking joint system from Harris Seed Co. which is designed to be used with 2" x 6 " lumber
    Home Depot told me to use pressure treated (I know that is not right it's a veggie garden) One lumber yard told be to use construction heart redwood at a cost of $22.50 per 10 ft board. Another lumber yard told me to use cedar at a cost of $23.50 per 10 ft. board. I called Harris Seed they told me to use pine board it would be about a third of the cost and in 5 to 6 years I may have to start replacing some boards. I would need 8 2" x 6" X 8ft and also 16 2" x 6" x 10ft to complete this project. I live in Alabama about 2 miles from the GA border. Which lumber should I use?
    I would use the pine. DO NOT use treated lumber of any kind. They leach chemicals into the soil which aren't good for your veggies or the ground surrounding your raised beds.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    I would use the pine. DO NOT use treated lumber of any kind. They leach chemicals into the soil which aren't good for your veggies or the ground surrounding your raised beds.
    I second this. Use natural wood. As was earlier stated, there are a number of species that are naturally resistant to rot, and my understanding is that Southern Yellow Pine is one of them, something that should be cheap and plentiful in your area.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Red face Re: Type of lumber to use for raised veggie garden

Thanks for all your responces They were a great help and I went with the pine board.
    Thanks Again :

I believe you will regret the use of Pine.I live in the South and pine is the last thing I would use.Treated lumber is not treated as it used to be because the EPA stuck its nose in.IT to will not last as it used too.If you use landscape timbers that are treated I would advise coating them with a clear coat of urathene (spelling).I did so and they have lasted 5years so far.

I think pine is best option to go with

I don't see anything wrong with using pressure treated if you line the inner planting box sidewalls with heavy plastic. I would tack the plastic to the upper edge of the retaining lumber and then put a decorative lattice board on the top to hide the staples. I would not line the bottom.

When pressure treated was reformulated a few years ago, the arsenic was taken out. They now contain chemical variations of either copper or zinc, both of which are toxic to plant life. Fungus (rot) and algae, are plant life. Here in the NorthWest, we sprinkle zinc oxide over our roofs to control the moss which wants to grow there.

If you look at the ingredients of your daily vitamin suppliments, you will probably find both copper and zinc in there. Both are needed by the body in small amounts.

Use PT lumber and don't give it a second thought. Even if there were leeching of copper cyanide, the amount is less than you breathe in the air, and would flow down ward and not laterally to the roots. Many fertilizers contain trace amounts of copper as it is an essential nutrient for plant growth. Yes the cyanide in PT lumber is toxic, but the amount is soooooo low it is not a concern. breathing the air next to your car, pumping gas, and a lot of other things are far more toxic.

Many trace elements bind themselves to soil particles tightly and cannot be separated without laboratory treatment. Use PT lumber and don't worry about it.