+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy water dripping from exterior outlet!

We installed a pool last summer. We dug a trench layed conduit inserted the wires and passed inspection. Last winter during a thaw I noticed that water was dripping from the extra outlet, which occurs first in the line.
    We have had a lot of rain recently, and the pool filter would not turn on- it kept tripping the line. My husband noticed that the pool outlet was dripping too. He took the outlet apart and we saw the the water level was up to the top of the conduit at the outlet level.
    Please tell me that we do not have to dig up that trench again! Is there another solution?

Default Re: water dripping from exterior outlet!

Your solution entails discovering where and how the water is getting into the outlet in the first place. Is the other end of the pipe above ground?

The conduit begins at the point that it leaves the house, which is about 3 feet from the ground. When we were digging the trench for the wires it was constantly being flooded by rain water. It was very wet here last year, as it is this year. But it was dry when we ran the wire and before we buried it.

water does some amazing things. we can only do our best to detour it away. not knowing exactly how you did this, i would drill a couple 1/8 inch holes or so in the bottom of the outlet box. Be cautious not to hit any wires. This is assuming that the outle box is exposed too. This is a very common thing we do in cheese factories and other industries where water is around. Next i would get "great stuff", which is a spray in foam, and try and seal the couduit that comes up in the outlet box. stick the straw of the foam can in the couduit as far as you can, and fill it good, this will help in aid the ammount of water that comes out of the conduit. let it dry and break away foam that is sticking out of couduit to far. that should fix ya up

Quote Originally Posted by gerriq View Post
    The conduit begins at the point that it leaves the house, which is about 3 feet from the ground. When we were digging the trench for the wires it was constantly being flooded by rain water. It was very wet here last year, as it is this year. But it was dry when we ran the wire and before we buried it.
    Did you used glued together PVC pipe and is the house end where the wire goes to the house above ground and perfectly weather tight?

Easily water can run down a pipe and fill it up if the end is not closed off with a weather tight connector. With the outlet lower than the pipes house end the water could drain toward the outlet.