Poll: Would you rather see more real answers and less "joke" answers on "What Is It?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "What is it?" Segments...a possible improvement?

Hello out there in Home Improvement Land!

I've been watching all the Old House Productions shows for ages and have seen them evolve, ebb, and flow over the years. I love some parts, like others, and go get coffee when the rest come on.

After today's episode of ATOH, I was finally pushed over the edge of motivation to try and make some CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions. We all have opinions and I recognize that mine certainly aren't the only valid ones out there. What I want to know is if the "fake" answers on the "What is it?" segments make everyone else cringe and want to shift the channel.

I greatly enjoy seeing the real explainations of the odd items at the end but getting there through the lads acting out the bad answers is EXCRUCIATINGLY painful to watch. (It seems like they enjoy doing it but really, stick to fixing things guys. )

Now this may be a producer's pet project or the guys may really just need to fill time but (to try to leave a positive suggestion here) wouldn't people rather see, say, THREE new items with just real answers instead? Each of the guys show off some gadget in each of their areas of expertise? Wouldn't people rather see more real info? Am I the only cranky curmudgeon here?

I'm sorry if this twists anyone's crank the wrong way but after Kevin's Gravity Stapler and Tom's Paper Mouse Trap answer to the foot operated toilet lever (a good piece of info that I immediately shared with a disabled friend - and I almost missed it because I was about to flip the channel), I just wanted to scream "Show me something useful instead of bad (really bad) jokes!" If I had two extra minutes of precious air time, I'd try to fill it with something more in line with my audience but hey, perhaps that's why I'm not a television producer.

I'm all for the humour and light-hearted feeling we typically get from the guys, it's makes the show appealing, but they can do that while sharing real information just as well. They have for years. I have this secret feeling it's an inside joke on the set to see what they can make us suffer through. Maybe I need to switch to decaf.

There, I've got it out and now I feel much better. I hope it at least sparks a discussion. I'll keep watching the rest of the show and all the others (keep up the great work on NYW Norm!) but if you need me during the bad answers, I'll be in the kitchen making coffee.

Best to all and thanks for the good info over the years.

- Carter

Default Re: "What is it?" Segments...a possible improvement?

B. Faster through the jokes, and have 2 or more products each episode.

I could not agree more. Excruciating is exactly the right word. I hate seeing adult people embarrassing themselves.

I like your idea of each one presenting one new item.

Wink Re: "What is it?" Segments...a possible improvement?

Have you ever thought of how many people watching the show honestly wouldn't know the jokes from the correct answer. This is apparent in the threads that are written every day. Some of the threads show no forethought at all, because the answer is strictly subjective that can only be determined by the author or so obvious that a high school kid in shop class could answer it. Food for thought.

Calcats

I really have no opinon either way with regard to the level of expertise in the viewers and can only speak for myself but if your assumption is true, doesn't that just add to the list of reasons for dumping the jokes? Why muddy the educational waters even further with "fake" answers if your viewers are already confused?

It's still interesting to see that (at this moment) more than half of the few polled find reason for some sort of change. At least I know I'm not the only one that cringes when I see the segment start.

Good luck with your projects out there and keep voting folks! Cheers!

- CarterCanada

I agree with fellow commenters...

1. Jokes are very lame. What makes the lame jokes even worse is the poor execution since these guys are not real actors or comedians.

2. What an incredible waste of 2 minutes. Many of the fixit segments edit out the trickier parts of critical steps. Two more minutes of explanation could make all the difference in one of the projects.

3. Why confuse a "how-to" show with misinformation? Yeah, they're jokes... but they play the jokes "straight" in an attempt at humor. Playing them straight only contributes to the confusion of inexperienced viewers. You want to learn about new tools & products... not be intentionally tricked by silly foolishness.

4. At any job-site or workplace subject to OSHA rules, required safety meetings continually stress the danger of "horseplay". Yet every week, these professional craftsmen engage in various creative forms of horseplay with these tools and products in their lame attempt at physical comedy.

All of the entertainment in this show for me is watching them "do" these projects. I am not watching this show for all this slapstick stupidity.

With each new season I hope the producers get a clue.

I enjoy the What is it segments. Anyone who has seen the show more than once knows they are joking. It gives the guys a bit more personality.

Quote Originally Posted by mmax View Post
    I enjoy the What is it segments. Anyone who has seen the show more than once knows they are joking. It gives the guys a bit more personality.
    I agree, what's the big deal about it.

A joke or two isn't going to hurt anything. If anyone cannot figure it out then they shouldn't be watching the show.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.

Thumbs down Re: "What is it?" Segments...a possible improvement?

Lately it seems like each host is given the floor for his own stand-up comedy routine with dangerous props.

This week's prop... err... I mean... device was a self-contained refrigeration unit for intentionally freezing a pipe in order to cut off water flow. A really unique tool that I would have liked to learn more about... how expensive, cost to operate, weight, moving parts, possible other uses, etc.

Too bad the lame joke portion of this segment just never seemed to end. Wasted time which could have been spent on a project (project segment on the show) or perhaps a second unique tool.
    Last edited by sparky672; 11-08-2009 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky672 View Post
    Lately it seems like each host is given the floor for his own stand-up comedy routine with dangerous props.

This week's prop... err... I mean... device was a self-contained refrigeration unit for intentionally freezing a pipe in order to cut off water flow. A really unique tool that I would have liked to learn more about... how expensive, cost to operate, weight, moving parts, possible other uses, etc.

Too bad the lame joke portion of this segment just never seemed to end. Wasted time which could have been spent on a project or perhaps a second unique tool.
    Maybe less time watching TV and more time getting that project done and it will not be a concern.