+ Reply to Thread

Question Kitchen floor issues.

If anyone has any ideas on this PLEASE let me know!!

My house is a 1916 farm house. I have 2 major issues as follows:

1. Part of the kitchen was orignally a side porch, with the appropriate slanted floor.
    I AM TIRED OF THE SLOPE. HOW DO I FIX THIS?

2. The porch floor part is also very bouncy with something like 24" on center framing.
    WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIX THIS?

The floor is largely bits and pieces of several layer of cheapo linoleum and bare plywood sheets and I want to cover it properly and get it right.

I thank you in advance for any help as I am doing this one myself. I am a middle aged woman who has always been the carpenter's helper in the past, but now I am the carpenter.

Default Re: Kitchen floor issues.

Howdy,

What were you fixin to have as a final finished floor? Linoleum? Tile? Hardwoods?

I think that I will do the hard linoleum tiles that have to be waxed. I would do tile but I do not think that I could ever get the floor solid enough for that!

To fix the floor you have to start with the joists. Remove all flooring materials down to the joists.

Replace the bad ones and add new ones, 12 o.c. While doing this, level them. You may need the help of a framer.

With a solid framing, you can start with the subfloor and the tiles.

I understand what you are saying and it makes good sense. Thank you for your help.