+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Curtis Silentite Windows

My daughter and I are painting and reglazing the windows in her c1939 home. I removed the bottom sash by taking off the stops and removing the two screws on one side and taking out the aluminum strip. The window was easy to get out. However, the top window is more of a problem. Can't locate the stop to remove. Is it on the outside and how do I remove it? Any help will be appreciated since the house has 15 windows and all are in need of reglazing and painting.

Default Re: Curtis Silentite Windows

Generally a double hung window has a stop on either side of the lower sash. You remove the inside stop to remove the lower sash and remove the stop in the middle to remove the upper sash. Both are accessible from the inside. I f you have a different set up it would be helpful if you could post a couple of pictures.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What JAck said is right and pictures would definitly help!
    A good tip to get the old glazing out is to use a heat gun...it softens up the old glazing pretty easily. I should know...I did 30- 12 over 12's on my c1680 house...ugh.
    Also, be sure you prime all the bare wood after sanding. Use an oil base primer only! Zinnser makes a good product for that which I used.

Also, like JAck and I were speaking about to another home owner is to buy the Fein Multimaster tool. they have a blade that works GREAT for glazing removal and with the amt of windows you have it may be a good investment.
    You can even use it to sand the sashes themselves.I wish I'd have bought one when I did my windows...it pays for itself over and over...live and learn!
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

I checked around the web last night but could find little information on this type of window. However, from what I did find, it suggested that the stop and an aluminum bead had to be removed , I would suggest you look at the upper sash and locate the aluminum bead. If it is on the outside it would suggest you would have to remove the stop for the upper sash from the outside.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb