+ Reply to Thread

Default fixing a problem that violates city hall restrictions

We installed a door connecting a bedroom and the garage. Is there an easy way to make the door legal without taking the door out of the wall?

Default Re: fixing a problem that violates city hall restrictions

At least here (Berkeley,Ca) you cannot have a door that leads to a garage from a bedroom. It has to be a kitchen or living room entrance. I would check with someone who knows the codes in your area.

Don't call it a 'bedroom' - call it a den, storage area, hall way, etc... I know it sounds strange but it works. Plus, the code enforcement guys really can't do anything until you sell the house, so ignore it and enjoy your better access to the garage.

Simply stated the International Residential Code(if that's the one you use) says a door from a garage to sleeping quarters is not permitted.
    Doors to other rooms have to be solid wood or steel.
    So the answer is no, their isn't anything you can do to make it legal if the door goes directly into a bedroom.
    Without getting into it, I can see the wisdom of the code in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    Without getting into it, I can see the wisdom of the code in this case.
    The short and sweet jists of it is that chemicals, carbon monoxide, and other noxious fumes can seep through to the living space and be deadly, that is why no access from bedrooms to a garage. Like Libcarp said, call it something else and remove all bedroom furnishings from the room when you go to sell it and there should be no harm, no foul, with inspectors or code. To completely take the room out of "living space", remove the entry door from the house into the room and store it in the garage when time of sale occurs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!