+ Reply to Thread

Arrow What are these devices that

contractors use when they have a roof to steep to stand on and they want to work on say, a dormer window that is just above this steep part. they are metal and you have to put 1 or 2 roofing nails under a shingle, slide these things down over the nails which then hold them in place. you then can place a 2 x 12 across them and stand on that board to do the work.
    Where can they be bought, how much approx. and where to buy them? Do the big box stores sell them?
    thanks for any and all help.
    Steve

Default Re: What are these devices that

They are called roofing jacks, they can be bought at most hardware and big box stores. The come in a variety of types and prices.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

It should also be noted that if you're not good with ladders or heights, stay off your roof! The transition from a ladder to a roof is never fun, let alone when it's a severe slope. If you have any trepidations, stay off and leave it to the pros.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

No offense but what the heck is a trepidation ?? I never heard that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post

Main Entry: trep·i·da·tion
    Pronunciation: \ˌtre-pə-ˈdā-shən\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Latin trepidation-, trepidatio, from trepidare to tremble, from trepidus agitated; probably akin to Old English thrafian to urge, push, Greek t****in to press g****s
    Date: 1605
    1 archaic : a tremulous motion : tremor
    2 : timorous uncertain agitation : apprehension <trepidation about starting a new job>

synonyms see fear

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    Apprehension, fear, misgiving, terror of falling to your death ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Trepidation, is what you get when you reach an age that you don't bounch so good anymore.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Trepidation, is what you get when you reach an age that you don't bounch so good anymore.
    Jack
    Holy ****! I think I'm there! Now you're making me not want to go out and put the new roof on the house!

I don't have any experience with jacks but a fellow I worked for a few years ago used a step ladder.