+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Green options - what gives the biggest return on investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Carpenter View Post
    Do you not think that if GREEN alternatives to conventional electric power were in any way shape or form COST EFFECTIVE as compared to how the utility company is currently generating its power - then the electric utility would adopt their use? You better believe they would!
    Actually that's not true at all. It is the cost of the overhaul to the utility company and the current government subsidies in place that are stopping traditional utilities from making the switch to renewable sources at a high rate. I do agree with your last bit, however. The best advice is to make what you already have more efficient (shading and using native plants in the yard, energy star appliances, energy efficient windows, etc) and to live sustainable (cutting back on waste, hot water usage, etc).
    Live green, live free, live better! Writing and sharing information from green remodeling to Hidden Content at CalFinder Solar

A place you can save energy hogs on one of the biggest house and the water heater. However, if properly sized tank less water heaters for unlimited hot water are provided to grow the more I have them in energy savings do not see under normal use and a high upfront cost that is unlikely to be recovered. You go though a marathon if you like a high-efficiency electric can be a.

With the economies of large scale electrical production, the best way to spend resources is on energy conservation, not localized small scale unreliable production.

Insulation, upgrades heating and cooling that most importantly is sized correctly and installed correctly. Widows a doors are good too, but can get pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsand View Post
    i would recommend geo-thermal with the state and fed tax credits it should pay for itself in five years or less.
    Yea, I agree, not to mention it is the best thing for the environment.

I keep cutting, trimming, conserving electricity, yet my ELECTRIC BILL keeps growing...

As a consumer, I'm a toy in the hands of the utility co.

Or a cash cow.

I was told from several people that the most cost effective green improvement that you can make to your house is reducing you energy usage with air sealing, high efficiency furnace/AC, reduced flow shower heads, dual flush toilets, and at CFLs. Once LEDís come down in price, those will help.

The theory is it is better to use less than to produce more.

I'd focus mainly on making certain parts of your home more efficient like sealing the windows, etc.

HI
    You should to be more careful to select everything to build your house.Its physical properties is very important. You should to recruit a certified to develop energy audits.

Thanx
    Last edited by Paula Mera; 08-22-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Have you thought about zone heating with a pellet stove? This is a cheap alternative energy source that run on bio-materials such as sawdust. Zone heating is just turning down your thermostat and placing a pellet stove or fireplace in the rooms you use the most. This saves you money and you use less gas, electricity or oil.
    Your Hidden Content
    Where Healthy Living is Built In Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by willsonsarah View Post
    I can also see a new trend of water generated heat pumps coming in the future to generate electricity.

I'm not familiar with these, can you tell me anything about them? Sounds pretty interesting.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.