+ Reply to Thread

Question Broken glass table top-suggestions for repair?

A wind storm fllipped the table--broke the tempered glass--lays in/on a metal frame--frame still good--has hole in middle for shade staff. Replacemant prob. expensive.
    In there anything "out there" that one could use for replacement?
    --have thought about deck boards==wood and or plastic
    --have thought about tile. What sort of subsurface for this? rigid underlaymant board or cement board==this is getting heavy--but so was the glass!

The galss sits down into a rabbet along the edge of the metal frame--about 40 by 68.

Any suggestions for this? Thanks in advance.

Unhappy Re: Broken glass table top-suggestions for repair?

Lots of views on TOH discussions, but very few replies.

Default Re: Broken glass table top-suggestions for repair?

If you want the glass back, contact a few local glass shops and get quotes on the same size and thickness as the original. It can be custom cut and drilled for the canopy staff, then tempered. It will probably fairly expensive, however it will likely look better and certainly be lighter than going with tile, wood, or composite.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Unhappy Re: Broken glass table top-suggestions for repair?

Same thing happened to us yesterday, wind took parasaol up and over and the wind up handle shattered the whole table. I have read that if you measure up and go to plastics/glass company you can get a plexiglass or plastic replacement to fit (much safer). Salesmen do not warn you how easily these tables break, manufacturers must know as they make them in shatterproof glass. Had my grandchildren sitting round that same table recently, frightening thought of what could have happened.