+ Reply to Thread

Default squeak between joists and into wall

I have used the squeak no more kit on my floor, trying to solve a squeak problem that sounds in the wall. I am 100% positive I have located the joists and have used a vast amount of the screws into them. However, the squeak remains, and it sounds in the wall. I assume it is a loose nail in the bed of the wall? I do not know how to solve this one. Help!!!!

Default Re: squeak between joists and into wall

Oh, and my house is only 3 years old and it seems to have always been this way; i can't remember when it didn't squeak, really.

I have used the squeak no more kit on other squeaks and it has worked successfully. So I know there is more to this one.

it probably is between the floor joist and the perpendicular flooring member. The only thing to do is get under there and check the joist. If you have already done that then try putting wedges between the floor joist and the bottom plate of the wall there.

You know, if you really want to deaden the sound and you've done all the stuff mechanically you think you can... then perhaps insulation is the way to go, some spray foam injected in a hole behind the base board will at least deaden the sound.
    Debby in Oklahoma

I had a similar situation in my house a few years ago (built in 2003). It was caused by the floor flexing under the sole plate of the wall, and a nail from the sole plate to the floor moving in and out when you walk by. The floor joists were not the culprit. The quick and dirty solution was to drive a shim between the wall and subfloor to take up the slack and prevent the movement. If you have access to the subfloor from below (crawl space or basement) you might try driving some screws up into the sole plate. That would tie the subfloor to the sole plate and prevent the movement that causes the squeak.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.