+ Reply to Thread

Default Tree roots in sewer line

A frind of mine recently had a problem with tree roots in his sewer line. It resulted in water in his basement. His experience has prompted me to ask a few questions about his issue, especially since I live in an older neighbourhood with MANY large trees.

How do I know whether I need to have my sewer line cleaned? What sorts of symptoms should I look for?

I have a backwater valve, so if the line were to become clogged with tree roots, where would that water go if it can't back up into the house?

What is the best way to address the issue of roots in the sewer line? I've heard that having someone cut the roots in the line will only encourage the roots to re-grow more quickly. What have you found to be effective?

Thank you so much for your information.

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: Tree roots in sewer line

A backwater valve only prevents water or sewage from outside from entering. If you have root blocked waste pipe and you flush a toilet inside the house you will eventually fill your soil pipe and it will exit through the lowest opening first which may be a floor drain, a lower level toilet, or even a sink. If your drain is slow in draining you should probably have the drained cleaned. The only sure way to prevent roots in the drain is to make sure there are no openings for the roots to enter. A plumbing company can usually run a camera down the drain to check for roots or openings. This can be repaired by replacing the wast pipe with new PVC or relining the pipe.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb