+ Reply to Thread

Thread: old faucet

Question old faucet

I have a very old faucet in my basement sink that dates back to the 1920s. The hot water links continuously and a lot, despite changing washers. The lead in pipes are exposed and were checked ok. I'm told that the problem is in the faucet itself. I can't seem to find an old replacement without having to tear everything apart and by a modern looking faucet. Are there any ideas out there that can help me as far as what to look for inside the unit when it goes beyond replacing washers? Any help is much appreciated...... bucky163

Default Re: old faucet

If the leak is around the stem you will need to install new packing around the stem. If it is leaking out the spout chances are that the seat is worn and needs to be replaced along with the washer. Also when installing a new washer don't torque down the washer retaining screw. It just need to be tight enough to hold the washer in place. The seat is removed with a seat wrench you can pick up at just about any hardware for very little money. The seats look similar to these Buy the wrench first, remove the old and take it with you to find a replacement because there are different sizes. With a faucet that old I wouldn't even try regrinding the seat.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb