+ Reply to Thread

Default How much do you pay for repairs and improvements on your ~30-yr.-old home?

Do you own a home built between 1970 and 1990?

Would you mind estimating for me what your average annual expenditure is for repairs/improvements?

Qualifying your answer with details like square feet, whether you live in an area that is much more or much less expensive than average, etc. would be much appreciated.

Why I'm asking: I live in a small 100-year-old home that is costing me approximately $6000/yr. in repairs and improvements. (Estimates say that's about how much I've been making in equity each year, so I'm pretty close to owning a money pit.)

If I sell sometime in the next few years, what I can afford to upgrade to in this area would probably be a home around 30 years old. Because what I am trying to escape is a house that, financially speaking, has so far done little more than protect me from renting costs, I want to make sure I'm not jumping from one financially unsatisfactory situation to another.

And in case you're tempted to talk me into keeping my old house (I know, I know, this is a TOH forum), I should add that I have learned the hard way that owning a high-maintenance home is just not for me. I'm not enjoying all this work on my home as much as I thought I would.

Default Re: How much do you pay for repairs and improvements on your ~30-yr.-old home?

my grandmas house was build during the 2nd world war.

we preserved it and do some repairs that cost around USD8000.

Default How to quote

I NEED HELP QOUTING WORK i'M BIDDING ON. hAVEN'T BEEN OUT THERE FOR 25 PLUS YEARS AND RESENTLY GOT LAID OFF. SO I'M DUSTING OFF THE TOOLS AND HEADING BACK TO CONTRACTING. PROBLEM IS ,,, WHAT ARE THE RATES THESE DAYS ? INSTALL BASE BOARD , STAIN AND FINISH, INSTALL FLOATING FLOORS ? EAST TENN? CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME ADVISE ?

THANKS PC

Default Re: How much do you pay for repairs and improvements on your ~30-yr.-old home?

This is a really broad question. Our first home was built in 1975 and when we moved in during 2000, it already had a new roof, new windows etc. There are always maintenance costs associated with any home - new or old. I would average $1,000 in home maintenance costs for an old home, Furnace, water heaters, porch steps, etc., Sometimes these things need to be repaired.
    _______
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.