+ Reply to Thread

Question Help with rotting wooden dividers in concrete patio

I live in NJ. Wooden dividers in my concrete patio have rotten over time (about 25 years) and weeds are growing in the gaps. Some of the separators have heaved above the surface. Can I pull out all the dividers and replace it with bricks or something ? The gap is about 1.75-2.00 inches. Is there any other option? Please note that I have no previous experience, this would be my first project. Any suggestions / advise is welcome.
    Thanks

Default Re: Help with rotting wooden dividers in concrete patio

You can replace with either wood or mortar, whichever you prefer. I've replaced with wood on a few occasions and it's fairly difficult to get the old out and surprisingly tough to get the new back in. Using mortar would ease things considerably and if you wanted something interesting, you could use color dye in the mortar to off-set the expansion joints from the patio slabs.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You might be able to find pvc expansion joints too. Or Locking sand.

I've always used a flat bladed transplanting shovel to pry mine out. my FIL always said that the joints should be beveled to put them back but I wasn't home when he did mine.
    Debby in Oklahoma

A Spruce, Debbysewn,
    Thank you for the advice and tips. It has been raining here for weeks now. I will update once I complete the job.

Arrow Re: Help with rotting wooden dividers in concrete patio

I agree with the mortar suggestion over trying to put wood back in its place. The mortar will last longer, and look better over time.

NOVAPros