+ Reply to Thread

Default Ideas on how to best extend the length of an exterior windowsill

To update my house, I am widening the trim around my exterior windows by an additional 1-1/2 inches on each side but need to also extend the length of my existing window sill to match the new trim (a total of 2 inches on each side). Due to cost, I would rather not replace the wooden sill but wonder if anyone has any good ideas on how to lengthen the sill to minimize rot with the new seams.

Thanks.

Default Re: Ideas on how to best extend the length of an exterior windowsill

biscuit joints, epoxy or water proof glue and paintable caulk are the only things I could think of. Don't forget to move the drip edge to the extension.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Rather than trying to extend the sill and make it look like you tried to extend the sill, what about putting some sort of decorative block at each end of the sill and paint it the same color as the sill.

I'm thinking of something like they used to use on interior door trim where they would put a rosette up where the header trim meets the jamb trim, at the top corner. Also they used to use a plain block down at the bottom and run fluted molding down to it, by the floor. It didn't look like the trim and was so different that no one thought it was supposed to match. It was just a decorative piece.

Just an idea.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    biscuit joints, epoxy or water proof glue and paintable caulk are the only things I could think of. Don't forget to move the drip edge to the extension.
    Took the words right out of my mouth! I would rip a piece of 2x4 stock down with a 10 degree bevel on both front and back, and add biscuit joints, glue, sand, then paint..
    For all of you Hidden Content needs in Massachusetts & RI
    If you're in need of a new Hidden Content or Hidden Content click here.
    Or if you looking for new Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content