Hi- I have a very small leak coming into my basement. It was so small that I didn't realize it was there until after I had torn out the carpet. With a small amount of rain, I don't see any water but with a good downpour it will form a small puddle against the wall.

The house was built in 1994 and there are a couple of vertical cracks in the foundation. It appears the soil settled a bit and now the grading slants toward the house on the side that leaks. Here are a couple of pictures showing the side of the house where the leak is.

Same side from farther out:

There is a pretty good downhill grade from backyard to front yard that probably carries most of the water past the foundation.

I would like to find the best solution to fix the problem. It seems I can regrade the soil but do I just add soil against the foundation creating a 2-3' slope? Or should I dig out soil to create the slope? If it matters- the soil is currently 7" from the siding at the rear of the side of the house and around 10-11" from the siding at the front. I have also read about a french drain but I am not sure it would be the way to go or where I would place it.

Thanks for taking the time to help me!