+ Reply to Thread

Question Help on electrical wiring

I am rewiring a pool table light and the replacement wire has a ribbed and smooth wire. I know the ribbed is neutral but I am attaching to a box in the ceiling and those wires are white and orange. Which wire does the ribbed wire attach to? Also, please clarify which is the hot wire, white or orange?

Thanks,
    Bud

Default Re: Help on electrical wiring

White is neutral.

Hey bud, i don`t know if you got your ans. Yet or not but usualy white is neutral realy does depened on who has worked on wiring.in residential wiring black is normally (the hot)wire.if you had a meter you could check by putting 1 meter probe on your orange wire and one on a grnd.with switch on should get a reading.but to make a guess orange might/probally is the hot.in residential wiring usualy black is hot white neutral should be bare copper as ground if wiring is`nt too old.am cert.elec.hope this helps

White is neutral, black is hot, and red is usually a switched hot.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Does anyone find it strange that there is an orange wire in a dwelling? Or is this a commercial property?

Quote Originally Posted by sparky rw View Post
    Does anyone find it strange that there is an orange wire in a dwelling? Or is this a commercial property?
    One persons red is anothers orange.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb