I recently moved into an old house built in 1925 that has a mix of old and new wiring in it. The bathrooms and kitchen have all had their wiring updated along with a few other outlets here and there. However the rest of the house is two wire outlets. In the living room I need a grounded outlet for my TV stereo etc, but there is only a two prong outlet there. I know they make 3-2 prong outlets with a screw adapter that you can buy. IF I get one of these and IF I test it with a multimeter/outlet tool that says it is properly wired is it safe to use on my electronic equipment? I have measured the voltage between hot and the plate screw and it is as expected ~120 volts. Does this imply that the box is properly grounded through metal conduit? Some of the outlets do not measure correctly, but the one I want my TV plugged into does. Is a 3->2 adapter OK in this situation? Or is the only alternative getting an electrician out here to fix it?
Also, when testing the other outlets in the house some of the new three prong outlets indicate that they are not properly grounded as well. I have alerted my landlord of this issue, but he doesn't seem to excited about getting an electrician out here and fixing them. If these outlets aren't in use do they pose a hazard? Can they be safely used as a two prong outlet? I measured the difference between Hot and Ground and got in the 20-40 volt range. Does this indicate simply a disconnected ground? Or some other wiring problem?
Sorry for so many questions... Being a renter after being a home owner is extremely frustrating. I wish I could get an electrician and have the wiring fixed as it should be.