+ Reply to Thread

Default How to remove glued on formica countertops?

I have kitchen cabinets that are in good shape, and am considering replacing the old formica countertops. However, they are glued on (not sure of what glue - where I can see it up under the overhang edges it is brown, sort of matching the cabinet color). Would appreciate suggestions on how to remove these countertops without damaging the cabinets.

Default Re: How to remove glued on formica countertops?

With a little luck, you can force a Wonder Bar (flat style crow bar ) through the glue and pop it loose. You'll need to do this at each glue spot and you will damage the cabinet corner blocks where the countertop is glued. Just how much damage will depend on the type and quantity of glue used.

Use care and work slowly to minimize the damage and don't worry about the corner blocks, they can be replaced later. If your cabinets have a strip that runs the width of the cabinet, you'll likely have a little better luck getting the glue to pop and have less damage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, it may be a bit (a lot?) more difficult. The glue appears to be continuous, like it was laid down with a caulk gun! So going to each glue "spot" won't work.

You could make things much easier on yourself if you're not trying to save the top for any reason, that way you could cut it into small pieces to be removed rather than a single monolith.

Set your saw ever so slightly deeper than the thickness of the top and cut it into as many pieces as necessary to ease the removal, 12" squares will probably be small enough. you'll be able to work each small piece, twisting and turning it as you work a flat bar and / or a utility knife. This method should result in significantly less damage to the cabinets.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Smile Re: How to remove glued on formica countertops?

Thanks again. That sounds like a good practical solution.

Report back and let us know how it goes.

I've had luck re-gluing the top by using an iron to warm it up first.

Why couldn't he just heat the surface with an iron until the glue liquifies again and then peel it back as it's heated?

Just a thought. . .

Tim

TRL - I don't want to take off just the formica - I want to remove the whole counter, including the plywood that the formica is glued to! Thanks anyway.

I suppose if Rob left the iron on high long enough for it to catch the counter top on fire that it might work.

TOM used an electric Iron on the TV SHOW, "This Old House". To pull it off and put it on in another location.