+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 3 way light switch - light inop

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Alexander View Post
    Thanks Jack,
    That is how switch 2 is hooked up. Why would I have power on all 3 screws on switch 1?
    You can't have power on all 3 screws at once unless the switch is bad or it's the way you are checking for power. What do you use to check for power?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I am using a multimeter and checking voltage with one prong in the white wire and the other prong to the screws.
    Thanks
    I still don't know why I can't get power to switch 2.

Just to be sure check power from the bare ground wire, you may have a bad connection or break in the neutral. Does nay of the wiring go through the light box? I believe the drawing below is what you should have. If you have power on all three screws of switch one then the power lead and the light lead are probably connected to a traveler screw rather than the screw marked as common and you are getting feed back. Are there any markings on the back of the switches?
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kerry.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	2581  

Here's a thought. Disconnect the switch and set you meter to check continuity. You should read continuity between only two of the screws, flip the switch and check again. You will have continuity between only two screws . One of the screws will be in both pairs of positive continuity tests. That screw is "C". In other words if you read continuity between screw 1 and 3 with the switch in the up position and you read continuity between screw 2 and 3 with the switch down, screw 3 is "C" and that is the screw you want to connect power to on switch one and the screw you want to connect the black wire from the light on switch 2.
    Jack

Reply to Jack,
    The switch does have a common screw and that is where the black jumper connects. I had power using the ground.
    I will check continuity in the morning.

Be sure to check bothe switches. Also with the power off nut the red and black travelers together on one end then check and see if you have continuity between the red and black on the other end.
    Jack

Jack, I just got back to check the continuity on my switches, and wires.
    The switches are good. I have no continuity on my red or black travelers I checked from end to end of each wire.
    Do I have a cut in the wire somewhere?
    I had a new AC installed and the air handler is in the area of the light. The light did work after this install.
    I am stumped but I have to figure this out.
    Kerry

The switches are good. I have no continuity on my red or black travelers I checked from end to end of each wire.
    I had a new AC installed and the air handler is in the area of the light. The light did work after this install.
    Kerry
    Yup, no magic pill here Kerry and time to go figure it out.

Kerry
    No continuity means you have an open. Could be cut cable, broken cable or cable pulled out of a mid way junction box. Could be the cable was stressed during AC install and finally broke.
    Jack

I found two things wrong, a white wire had come loose and I found a third switch. Got it working now. Thanks for the help.
    Guess I should have had a V8.
    Kerry