+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Magic light?

Default Magic light?

ok so I am in an apartment currently, and I was wondering if there is an easy fix for my dilemma.

In my bedroom I don't have a light on the ceiling. In fact, the only way I can get light in the room is to plug a lamp into the wall fixture. The light switch on the wall will control the lamp's outlet. Is there a way to mount a light on the ceiling and have it be controlled by a wireless trigger plugged into the wall outlet? I know that they do sell remote controlled fans etc. but I don't think I can cut a huge hole in the ceiling to mount it. Minor holes would be fine. I'm just looking for something light weight to put a little light in the room.

I wish it was my own so that I could wire the thing! but it's not

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jason

Default Re: Magic light?

There are no "magic" lights, only remote control systems which require an electrical supply at both points. You could use a low volt system which would leave little more than screw holes in the ceiling when it's removed, but you will have to have a safe location for the transformer.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There are no "magic" lights, only remote control systems which require an electrical supply at both points. You could use a low volt system which would leave little more than screw holes in the ceiling when it's removed, but you will have to have a safe location for the transformer.

I'm sure I could get away with small holes and then just patch them before I leave. Would you recommend any systems?

thanks

The one I worked with was 12 years ago, so no, I can't recommend a system. The beauty is that you can run the power supply exposed, so there's no opening a wall or ceiling to install wiring.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The one I worked with was 12 years ago, so no, I can't recommend a system. The beauty is that you can run the power supply exposed, so there's no opening a wall or ceiling to install wiring.
    thanks for your help! I will head to home depot for a solution.

A low voltage light source is an option. I have one runing up the wall above my illuminating outlet to a track light that shines on my model railroad. ( I live in a apartment also ) Try as I might I cant hide all of the wiring running up the wall. If you are just looking for ambient lighting try some of the larger lighting supply houses. In Denver Foothills Lighting is big. Do a web search,you might find something you can just plug in to your outlet and be happy with (and take with you when you move).

Back in the '70s, they made "swag lamps" which were basically hung by a chain from a plant hook in the ceiling, and the cord ran from a convenient outlet through the chain. I haven't seen a swag lamp for sale in years; I think they went out with Harvest **** and Avocado appliances.

One thing you CAN get (which wasn't available in the '70s) is a remote control plug-in device to control a table lamp or other electrical device wirelessly.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Why not just buy a chandelier type light, have it wired like a hanging lamp and plug it into that same outlet. there are wire covering to hold it to the way or painting the wire the same color as the wall and ceiling could conceal it just enough to make it look like you really do have a ceiling light.
    Debby in Oklahoma

It seems the easiest solution would be to get a Plant Hanging hook, mount that to stud in the ceiling and then find a nice corded hanging light (or make your own with a fixture and wire). My son had a similar delemna and asked his landlord if he could have the ceiling fan and light wired to the switch and have the outlet wire hot. The landlord said if he covered the cost himself and agreed to leave the fixture when he moved out, he could do it (the landlord never liked the switched outlet, but didn't want to pay to have it changed). Now my son is happy and the landlord is too.