View Poll Results: Getting rid of mold yourself:

Voters
2. This poll is closed
  • We should let professionals do this

0 0%
  • We should do it ourselves, but with safety gear

1 50.00%
  • We should not do it at all, it will recur regardless and all house should be torn down

0 0%
  • We should run away screaming like little girls

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Talking Whole House Remodel - mixed age, multifamily

OH boy here we go. I'm about to check the other threads for bits of info I need, but I thought I'd write my story and get as much feedback as possible while I'm looking!

My husband and I are about to make an offer on our first home. Here's the basic info and questions are below. Any and all comments or advice is welcomed and MUCH appreciated!

- 3 units, laid out next to each other.
    - No water issues in any basements and water table is not an issue.
    - Left unit built by a DIY 20 yrs ago on garage in good condition. Up to code? Unknown but likely only minor issues.
    - Middle unit, built in 1850. GORGEOUS huge fieldstone foundation (stones are about 4' by 3' average). Owner stopped taking care of it two years ago. Water damage from broken boiler increased humidity. White mold spots on almost all wood. Beautiful large rough hewn timber beams.
    - Left unit built 35 yrs ago by DIY owner. Dug the foundation and all himself. No visible sagging or cracking so he must have done something right.

WHAT IT NEEDS:
    - New roof and new design on framing to combine units 2 and 3. We may just do two roofs that look alike. We can't stand slanted walls in the upstairs bedrooms.
    - Currently all units have own oil systems. We want something other than fossil fuels.
    - Electrical panels were updated 10 years ago. We want new wiring and removal of unused knob and tube.
    - New septic design in hand. No issues there.
    - Plumbing is copper in the middle house. Some patching done by DIY.
    - Middle and left house will be gutted by us as much as we can do. We'll reclaim many items (tubs, sinks, windows).

WHAT WE WANT:
    - Lowest maintenance possible for all items we invest in.
    - As energy efficient as possible as well as low water use items.
    - Secure 'bones' of the house. We'll forego a granite countertop for better structural integrity!
    - Natural lighting as much as possible (I like the idea of sunlight reflective tubes).
    - geothermal well to serve our heating (hot water too) and cooling needs. We live in the Northeast.

MY QUESTIONS for those of you out there that have the gift of experience :
    - Can I save significant money if I have the land excavated for a geothermal loop system at the same time that a septic is done?
    - I've read that you shouldn't put a geothermal loop near your septic tank. Is this true?
    - What kind of general costs should I expect when reframing a roof?
    - Anyone else dealt with white fuzzy mold on wood?
    - We are getting a 203K FHA loan to do these repairs. The estimated time of completion must be within 6 months. Think I'm crazy yet LOL?
    - How much can I expect to get for copper piping?
    - We're planning the floor plan around where the plumbing currently is. We think this will save us money. Your thoughts?
    - My thought is that we should spend 30K on reroofing, 10K on foundation securement (if needed), 20K on septic, 5K on 'wrapping' the home properly and siding, 5K on the correct insulation, 30K on geothermal installation including new ductwork and furnace...just throwing out some kind of uneducated figures.

OKAY. Yes. We may be crazy, but I truly believe we can do this. We're both on board, have a hell of a lot of energy for this, no kids, can live in the apt above garage while most renovations occur, and have a lot of passion to be guardians of our land.

I'd love to hear comments or bits of info that you have!

Default Re: Whole House Remodel - mixed age, multifamily

Remember the Concord barn project? They used a spray on all the wood beams to not only destroy any existing mold, but keep it from coming back,ever. It also kills/repels most insects including all termites and carpenter ants. The only drawback to the product is that it is water soluble so it will leach out of wood exposed to running water, like rain. It doesn't work on exterior wood unles applied frequently.

The stuff comes from the log home industry and is called "Boracare". Last time I checked, many years ago, it cost $106/gallon. One gallon makes three gallons of spray and it take about 6 gallons of spray for a complete house. Chemically it is disodiumoctaboratetetrahydrate and ethylene glycol. You can make it yourself at home. For each gallon of concentrate, you need a gallon of antifreeze, two pounds of boric acid (roach powder) and three pounds of borax (laundry booster). You have to heat the antifreeze up to 180F (outside on a camp stove) and mix all together. When cool, pour into a three gallon sprayer and fill with water. Spray the wood and you will be ok.

You can skip the antifreeze if you want and just mix the sodium borates with two gallons of hot water, but the antifreeze helps it penetrate deeper into the wood.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like something that would work perfectly in a situation like this.

MY QUESTIONS for those of you out there that have the gift of experience :
    - Can I save significant money if I have the land excavated for a geothermal loop system at the same time that a septic is done?
    If it is the same contractor doing the leach field and Geothermal trenching and using the same equipment you should save some probably not a significant amount.
    - I've read that you shouldn't put a geothermal loop near your septic tank. Is this true?
    If you install your loop in wells rather than trenches you would need to follow the same requirements as installing a potable well to prevent aquifer contamination.
    - What kind of general costs should I expect when reframing a roof?
    You haven't supplied enough information to even guess.
    - Anyone else dealt with white fuzzy mold on wood?
    Answered above.
    - We are getting a 203K FHA loan to do these repairs. The estimated time of completion must be within 6 months. Think I'm crazy yet LOL?
    Unless this is a very small house, you have a sizable crew, allow for lots of overtime, and have on time delivery for all your material and craftspeople it would be difficult to complete in 6 months.
    - How much can I expect to get for copper piping?
    Not nearly what new plumbing will cost.
    - We're planning the floor plan around where the plumbing currently is. We think this will save us money. Your thoughts?
    The less changes the cheaper although matching to old plumbing can add cost. You appear to be planning on removing the existing plumbing and installing a new spetic system so I don't think there will be much savings using the existing location.
    - My thought is that we should spend 30K on reroofing, 10K on foundation securement (if needed), 20K on septic, 5K on 'wrapping' the home properly and siding, 5K on the correct insulation, 30K on geothermal installation including new ductwork and furnace...just throwing out some kind of uneducated figures.
    Impossible to estimate without roof square footage and type of material, type and size of septic system, material needed and square footage of walls, type and size of Geothermal system and type of installation.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You are in for a life of horror and high fuel bills.

hahahaha! NEC that's probably just about right. And again, Jack thank you for your responses.

I know. I really do know - this entire project spells disaster. I can't help but love this land and what it's potential could be. My husband and I are willing to work 14 hour days, sleep 5 hours a night, forget about days off, and fall into bed every night exhausted and freshly showered from our filthy day.

Well, I'm a calibration coordinator in the biotech field by trade. Managing multiple vendors is what I do all day and I'm one of the most bullheaded woman I know. Willing to get into any trench and dig next to the guy I'm payin' to do it. That's my philosophy.

My next step? Gather all the experts I know personally and take a walk through. I'm flexible to any ideas which should help.

Other than running away like a little girl screaming LOL.

biobratte,
    If the house is livable, my best advice is to move in and live there a year before you even start remodeling. It is so much easier to make the right decisions when you know the house. I'm speaking from experience of doing it 4 times myself.

I wish you the best of luck and love and passion can accomplish a lot.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb