+ Reply to Thread

Thread: whole House Fan

Default whole House Fan

Hi I am thinking of installing a whole house fan in my home. My home is about 2700 Square Feet exclusive of a buried basement (which would be about 1285 sqft whole out of which 785 is finished). I am wondering if I need to go in for the traditional whole house fans (like the Dayton or Airvent) probably a 30" one. However, I am a little skeptical abt cutting the joists (mine are 24" centered) to install these. I came across these tamarack and airscape fans which do not need the joists to be cut open. Are these fans quite effective? The other draw back with the traditional fans is the insulation in winter months (I live in DC area) and the available net free venting area in the Attic (as per rough calculations, I would need a 8Sqft venting area for the 30 in fans). Which one would you recommend? Thanks Ram

Default Re: whole House Fan

Any of them are fine and if properly used can save on cooling costs. I would recommend that you have proper venting that can be closed and sealed in the winter. In our old house we had windows in the attic that we replaced with louvers during the summer and reinstalled the windows during the winter. If you do install a 30" cutting and bracing the cut joists is not a big deal.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: whole House Fan

i have never lived in a house with an attic fan,but i have installed quite a few. daytons seem to work quite nice,easy to install. I would want one that works off a reostat,that is it has a variable speed. on high some fans can sound like a jet airplane is in your attic. timers can be wired in also and can be very helpfull. to me the biggest pain is geting the screen in straight and square and hang-up free. i would be sure to check with a hvac pro about venting your attic. there seems to be more to this then meets the eye. also you will need a dedicated circuit for this. be sure you have room in your panel.