+ Reply to Thread

Red face Getting smells out of toilet seat plastic parts (yuck!) - how?

Hi

We have an icky deodorising dilemma: The males who used to live in the house we just purchased must have had absymal aim. We discovered this due to an abysmal odor emanating from the joints/connectors of the toliet seats on otherwise visually clean toilets.

We took the seats off to investigate and, oh boy, horrors - years of caked urine in and around every nook and cranny of the joints' plastic parts.

Having got that far - i.e. having grossed ourselves out already - we soaked, scrubbed, bleached and then sprayed textile odor remover on the plastic parts of these quite nice and expensive toilet seats. Bingo, fresh as new.

...BUT, now the smell is returning. Our aim is good, so it's not that. We think that the deodoriser has worn off, or that deep urine odors are still making their way to the surface of the plastic components. Soooo...have you any suggestions for cleaning/deodorising urine odors from plastics??? A special soak solution? A special spray?

(All this to avoid spending $300+ on new seats! )

Thanks
    Hidden Content - go there if you have lost your dog or found someone else's.

Or visit the most amazingHidden Content on the internet!

Default Re: Getting smells out of toilet seat plastic parts (yuck!) - how?

First-I would make sure that the smell isn't coming from the joint between the tank and the seat too.

Vinegar is a urine odor neutralizer. I think I would adopt a "FlyLady" routine about these toilet seats. She "swishes and swipes" her toilet daily. So I would spray down those parts with vinegar every day while brushing the bowl and wiping down the toilet seat. I just keep a jug of Clorox Wipes near my toilets but the month I took care of a stubborn pre-teen with a bad habit of missing on purpose, even those daily wipes didn't help. We had to shower the toilet daily to rinse residue out of the cracks especially under the tank.

Good luck.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Thanks for that. Vinegar huh?

The smell is definitely coming from the plastic parts in the joints. We plan to take it apart again and soak the plastic bits in something for several days.

We could try vinegar for that, or what about sodium bicarbonate? Would that work as a concentrated aqueous solution?

New toilet seats are fairly inexpensive. You might want to just replace them.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Cheap ones are, well, cheap. Two nice ones means $300 - a lot when we've just moved house

Quote Originally Posted by finley View Post
    what about sodium bicarbonate? Would that work as a concentrated aqueous solution?

While Baking soda is a good dry odor remover, I wouldn't suggest it here.

My main thought is, urine dries into crystals and then when they get wet well they start to smell again. Vinegar gets into the crystals and neutralizes the smell. Baking soda probably wouldn't get into the crystals.

My suggestion came from seeing several cement floors cleaned then sealed to prevent the smell from coming out again. Wooden seats could be sealed the same way but... I don't know about acrylic.

You know there's and old saying, "tighter that piss on a board" meaning you're probably too broke to replace things but... it could also mean you're never gonna get that smell out.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by finley View Post
    Cheap ones are, well, cheap. Two nice ones means $300 - a lot when we've just moved house
    A hundred fifty bucks for a toilet seat? Are you in the government? I could understand that price for the whole toilet, but you should be able to find a decent toilet seat for less than 30 bucks.

If you can post a link to a site with $150 toilet seats, I'd like to see it.

(For some mysterious reason, toilet seats are often sold separately, not included with the toilet package. Just like USB cables for printers and power cords for ranges.

P.S. -- I just looked at Home Depot ******, and sure enough there are some expensive seats. Personally, I think you can still find decent ones for cheap.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 06-17-2009 at 04:40 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

If you are sure its the toilet seat, just buy a new one.

I would actually like to suggest an alternative. Is there a chance that the toilets seal to the floor has broken? Usually there is a wax ring that seals the toilet to the floor but this can be easily broken if the toilet is loose or if a large person sits on the toilet, or if the toilet was simply installed incorrectly. There is also a chance that the urine from the 'bad aiming' is under the toilet.

You might want to have a plumber take a look or if you have experience you can as well but make sure you have a new wax ring(about $5). Once you use a ring, it cannot be reused.