+ Reply to Thread

Question Is it a bearing wall?

I would like to open the kitchen to the rest of the house by taking out a section of the wall and installing a breakfast counter. There is a 1"x6" that was cut into the 2"x4" uprights on a diagonal to be flush with the face. What would this be for, and can it be removed?

The previous owners remodeled the kitchen so I don't know if this wall is an addition or original.

Default Re: Is it a bearing wall?

It's a diagonal brace added to stabilize the framing. Is it possible that this wall was originally the outside wall and the kitchen was built on. If it was originally an outside wall it is most probably a bearing wall.

Generally if you can look below the wall and it is supported by a beam or is setting on a foundation it is a bearing wall or if there is another wall above it is is a bearing wall.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for your reply Jack. No, it isn't an outside wall, but I believe it is an original wall location for the floor plans in this track. Some of the homes have this wall open with 1"x4" decorative slats. The stove was originally against this wall, I found the vent outlet leading to the roof and the gas line.

The entire house sits on a concrete foundation, totally without any wooden substrate. I looked in the attic and there isn't anything attached to the roof rafters or cross bracing from this wall. Is there some way to tell for sure it ISN'T a bearing wall?

Do you know how I find floor plans for my home? My city doesn't have them, and it was only built in the '60'.

If the ceiling joists coming from either side end on top of the wall it is a bearing wall. If your house was built with trusses you would need to have them examined to see if they are clear spam trusses or need the wall for center support support. A competent builder may have someone that can check them out for you.

If you know the builder you may be able to get a copy of the plans from them.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb