+ Reply to Thread

Default Extending Kitchen Island

We currently have a 5'X 3' kitchen island. Our kitchen is long and thin (rectangle) so can't extend on the sides to make a breakfast bar.. Any ideas on how can we extend the island to add breakfast bar for 4 people without adding cabinatery?

Thanks
    Ambica

Default Re: Extending Kitchen Island

Often people will use table legs to extend and island instead of using cabinets. You would need to get some that are the right height for your existing island. You would have to build and apron to attach the legs to but that's not to difficult. If you aren't handy a good finish carpenter or cabinet installer/maker could do it for you.

Or a large corbel (3'tall x 3'long) with a ledger and apron to support the table extension from the cabinet would work as well, up to 4 or 5 feet. You wouldn't want to dance a jig on the outer corners of the table, but it would be plenty strong for the average adult, behaved child to dine at.

As Sabo suggests, if you're not a DIY'r, any cabinet shop can build and install such a beast for you. If you've got a Formica top they usually can supply that as well. If tile or other, you'll have to contact a different supplier for that.

Like Sabo said...some people like me use legs instead of "just" cabs.
    I know I have a better pic if you need one but the secomd pic shows the legs at the far end of the island I built. the top is soapstone I fabricated which is about the heaviest of any stone out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	setting up soapstone to fabricate.jpg 
Views:	975 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	201   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitchen finished.jpg 
Views:	960 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	202  
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו