+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Installing Hardware Cloth on Wooden Screen Door

I need to install some 1/8 inch hardware cloth on a wooden screen door. Is there anything unique to installing hardware cloth as compared to regular door screening?

popsvt
    Last edited by popsvt; 06-10-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: word tense

Default Re: Installing Hardware Cloth on Wooden Screen Door

You won't be installing hardware cloth in the same manner as screen because it's too thick and stiff to be bent into the channels. You will have to surface mount the hardware cloth and dress it up with some wood trim. I don't know what your purposes are, however Aluminum screen mesh may be a suitable alternative if you need a stronger screen and still want to maintain the stock installation method. Metal screen is a little more difficult to work with than regular mesh fabric, but it's not impossible.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for your reply.

I'm installing the Hardware Cloth to protect the door screening from my son's dog scratching and tearing the screen that's there. My plan is to replace the screen on the door with hardware cloth. Then, behind it (on the inside of the door), put in a regular screen built with channels. There will be about a 1/4 in gap between the two. Both the cloth and the screen will fit into the existing opening.

What is the order for tacking down hardware cloth? Top, bottom, then the sides, or some other order? How do I get the cloth taunt?

popsvt

Hardware "cloth" is a misnomer, it is not actually cloth but a stiff wire mesh. It will come in a roll (or be cut to order by some small hardware shops ) and you cut it to the size you need. You'll surface staple it to the door or have to build a frame to attach it to if you don't want to mar the door.

I would be inclined to go a different route than using hardware cloth and train the dog NOT to scratch the door. You can use a squirt gun to spray the dog every time it touches the door. If you want a more potent, non-harmful deterrent put white vinegar in the squirt gun.. You can up the ante, if necessary, with a shock collar and zap the dog whenever it touches the door. The advantage of the squirt gun is that the dog won't know you're watching, so after a few times of getting squirted it usually learns it's not something it wants to repeat. The shock collar works more efficiently, however they quickly learn that they're only punished if they're wearing the collar. Once they know what the collar is, they are perfect angels when wearing it and little poop bags when they're not.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!