Default Maple Tree Issue

Hello All,

I am hoping that someone can help me understand what is going on with a maple tree that is in my yard. This is a well established tree that always has great foliage. This issue is with the trunk. There seems to be a split in the trunk of it. It is dry in the middle and the bark appears to be trying to repair itself. See the attached pictures for more detail on what is wrong.

If anyone has any idea what the issue is with this tree, please let me know.

Thank you,
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1202.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	2478   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1203.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	2479  

Default Re: Maple Tree Issue

How long has this damage been there? If it's always been there, it's probably a break that happened long ago and the tree is doing it's best to heal around it. If it's something that is fairly new, it may have been hit with something, but I have no idea.

Thanks for the reply. As far as I know, it's been there for a while. I moved here about 2.5 years ago and it's been there since that. I guess I was a little concerned because the center of the tree looks very bare and almost dry. I just don't want this to be a problem as time goes on because it is a really nice looking tree.

Thanks again.

To an extent, the center of a tree is not what is "living". The nutrients are carried up through the part closest to the bark, so it can live just fine with this "dead part" inbetween the separated area. It's not as structurally sound per se, nor as attractive, but as long as pests don't take advantage of the weakness and bore holes and eat the wood, it's probably just fine. In the old days (according to what my grandpa used to do) people put tar on wounds like this but I don't believe it's recommended anymore, although I can't be sure.
    Proud to be suburban free.

I have an oak tree with a similar look. It was from a lightning strike.

I had one that did that a number of years ago and my husbands great-grandmother said it was from a lack of minerals in the dirt (due to previous year after year after year planting of cotton on that land). She said to wet peat moss and pack the area then put a piece of saran wrap over it and loosely tie this on, occasionally re-wetting the peat moss under the wrap. This actually worked and the split grew back together. It took about three or so months for that to happen, but it did work, and when I moved from there, the tree was taller than the house and still very healthy. (I'm not sure if it was coincidence or if this truly is what made the healing happen.)