+ Reply to Thread

Default Colored concrete driveway

I'm considering a colored concrete driveway (gray), colored by the concrete plant. Will the color fade? I'm having a contractor do the installation.

Wink Re: Colored concrete driveway

If the color is mixed into the concrete while in the mixer it won't fade because the color will be throughout the concrete. Just a question, concrete dries to a light gray, isn't that dark gray enough?

Calcats

Default Re: Colored concrete driveway

Concrete color WILL fade somewhat over time regarless if it's mixed in the load or shaked on the surface and trowled in.

Enjoy your new colored concrete driveway....!

The amount of fade that concrete has if mixed in the mixer is insignificant over a long period of time. In 5 years you probably won't even notice it.

Calcats

Earlier this summer we poured a new concrete pad next to our existing "black concrete driveway". The concrete was "jet black " as poured. Within a few weeks the concrete 'faded' to a light to medium light 'gray' color with some areas still dark gray/black. Then then the contractor came back and used "midnight black" dye on the new concrete. Again it was relatively dark black when finished. Within 3-4 weeks though it again began fading to a medium gray/black color.
    Now the contractor wants to darken it once again with the dye and then immediately 'seal' the concrete.
    I am concerned that even with the sealer it will again fade to a much lighter color than our old driveway.
    Does anyone have any ideas??? Thanks

I'm not sure what the contractor used to color the concrete but as a cement finisher I've never seen black colored concrete barely fade in a year let alone a couple of weeks. He must of used some type of color other than what the cement manufacturer recommends. If you use the right coloring and don't wear gloves it takes you longer than a couple of weeks just to get it off of your hands!! I would contact the cement manufacturer (Medusa or whatever brand of cement the batch plant uses)and find out what they recommend. I would check that against what coloring the contractor used. I would bet they aren't the same. Ask the cement representative what you might be able to do now, he may have a topping you can have the contractor spread on, especially if it is because he used inferior coloring.

Calcats

Almost anything in the sun will fade. Colored concrete is no exception. It is very similar to pavers. UV has that effect. A good sealer will go along way to keeping the concrete color from fading as fast. A good sealer will absorb the UV. The sealer itself will degrade(as it is supposed to) as it absorbs that energy. When the time comes, a good clean and reseal will restore what looks like fade. You will be surprised at how nice it looks resealed. If it goes too ling with minimal sealer intact you may need to apply a good stain. Make sure it is UV resistant. tru tint has been good to me. Some are better, some are worse. The key is a sealer that is good against UV.