+ Reply to Thread

Default Door center panel veneer separating

When I bought my house I began refinishing all the doors. Just pine, but the grain is really tight and they're beautiful once stripped and re-stained and poly'd. The door frames are all solid pine, but the single, large center panel is a veneer. Now I have a problem...

The bathroom door never had an exhaust fan (and still doesn't but it's on the list once money allows). The center panel on this door is deteriorated from constant humidity. The layers and veneer are separating and the panel has bubbled and cracked and split. Worse, the trim part that frames the panel is also in bad shape. I fear I might just need to replace this door, but is there any way to separate the door frame pieces to put in a new center panel and re-peg and glue the frame around it? I had an old beat up interior door in the baement but it didn't seem to fit anything in the house. I cannibalized it with a sawzall to see how they are built and the frame is pegged with huge 1 inch diameter dowels so I'm not sure how successful I'll be at using a reverse clamp to spread it. Maybe a multimaster to saw straight down between joints and saw through the pegs?

Or...reluctantly, do I need to try and get a new door? (probably have to have it custom made due to goofy size)
    Proud to be suburban free.

Default Re: Door center panel veneer separating

You won't have any luck separating the rails and styles of the door. You'd be better off to cut the center panel out, then use a router to cut a rabbet into the rails and styles to accept the new panel, then either make or purchase an appropriate sized trim for the inside of the door to hold the panel in place.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the reply!

You're welcome.

I went through a similar thing a while back. I had an entry door that was repurposed for a garden shed which put it in direct contact with constant sun and rain. The rails began to separate from the stiles and the door began to sag. I had a heck of a time getting the joints open enough to clean and reglue, some of them I couldn't budge, even though they were loose already. I did what I could and it lasted for a little while before I just replaced the door with metal doors.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yeah, if I have to replace it, it won't match with the two bedroom doors right next to it. Plus, I'm hellbent on keeping everything original as possible! I don't believe in "improvements".