+ Reply to Thread

Default Shut off valve - NO icemaker

Under the sink I have a reverse-osmosis filter which provides water to a small dedicated faucet on the sink.

There is clear plastic tubing which is attached to the RO filter piping, and runs along behind the cabinetry. Up until recently it was attached to the ice maker of the now-deceased refrigerator.

The new refrigerator has no ice maker.

I want to attach a shut-off valve to the clear plastic tubing at what would be the refrigerator end. I want to leave the tubing in place behind the cabinetry so that I can perhaps someday add an icemaker.

Can you advise on what kind of cutoff valve and related parts I need, as well as the steps involved?

Thanks! Jackie

Default Re: Shut off valve - NO icemaker

You can purchase compression valves that will fit the plastic tubing. Compression valve refers to the method that it's attached to the tubing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I beg to differ, Sprucey. "Compression" refers to the fact that it compresses a washer against a seat, as opposed to a ball valve, a gate valve, butterfly valve, or something else. You most certainly can have a "compression" valve that's threaded on both ends.

Sprucey's advice is good. The original poster wants to get a valve with a compression fitting that will attach to the polyethylene tubing. If using a standard compression fitting (the type with a brass ferrule), be sure to use a brass insert in the pipe otherwise the pipe will squish down and you won't get a secure connection. You could also get a "shark bite" type fitting that has O-rings and barbs, which you just push the pipe into and it stays.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

We're both right. Compression is the valve design as you say, but it is also in reference to the manner in which it attaches to the pipe or tubing. I guess I could have been a little more clear about that.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

OK, thanks. I've now got a compression valve that I believe is the right dimension for the tubing, but am having trouble locating the brass insert mentioned which goes into the tubing.

Any suggestions on where to track down the insert piece? Does it have a technical name? I hate asking for "that brass do-hickey"

Thanks! Jackie