+ Reply to Thread

Default Ice-maker shut-off valve

Recently bought new fridge that has provision for connecting 1/4 inch supply line to Ice-maker in freezer (Not in door). Manufacturer's Instruction sheet clearly says to NOT use a saddle valve on the copper cold water supply pipe but makes no suggestion for a substitute valve. What is recommended and should I use plastic or copper flex line from valve to appliance?
    Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions, John

Default Re: Ice-maker shut-off valve

I suspect the reason that you can't use a saddle valve is that they don't flow enough water to fill the ice maker. I assume that since you're asking about a valve that you don't already have one installed behind the refrigerator? If not, where and how do you plan to get water to this location? What are the existing pipes in your home (galvanized steel, copper, pex, cpvc )?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Good questions.... here goes. I've used Saddle valves in earlier houses w/o a problem and with plastis lines. Here, Amana states to NOT use a sadddle valve but no alternate suggestions. The feed pipes are all copper and since I'm on a well, I have them marked as "Raw" before the softener system. So in this case I'll use a 1/2 cu line in the raw part of the system. Total line length abou 6-8 ft. from basement to rear of appliance.

Thnka fo your help, John

If it were me I'd forget about the saddle valve and plumb a dedicated 1/2" line over to the refrigerator. At the end, terminate it with a ball style angle stop that will accept the 1/4" tubing to the ice maker. The tubing to the ice maker can be either copper or vinyl, whichever you prefer working with.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!