+ Reply to Thread

Default Hinges installed on door facing

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1940s tudor revival. I've noticed that in pictures I've taken of the interior, the door hinges are installed on the door facings rather than on the edges of the doors. I've attached an example in a picture.

My question is, was this a common practice and therefore intentional, or was this a mistake that I should plan to correct?

I can't verify whether this affects how the doors operate, but I'm assuming they work OK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hinge_on_door_facing1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	2525  

Default Re: Hinges installed on door facing

I've never seen an installation like that, nor have I seen a masonite panel door in a 40's era home that wasn't a retrofit. Having said that, it is likely that a previous owner who didn't know how to install a door, replaced the original with the current door and rather than setting the hinge on the edge as it should be, just flopped it over the top.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Especially since it doesn't appear to be a "decorative" hinge. Just a plain ol brass one. I would say a bad retrofit.

By the way, Tudor Revivals are the most awesome houses ever. I'm jealous because I can't afford one yet, although we have a ton of them in my city.
    Proud to be suburban free.

By the way, if anyone's curious, this is the way the doors are designed to be installed on these hinges. I was in for a closer look earlier this evening.

This type of hinge is a half-mortise hinge and was sometimes used on houses of this era.

Was this the original hinge itself too though? Usually they had black hinges and those look brass. My advice, strip the doors and refinish with a dark stain!
    Last edited by KCPumpkinStalker; 06-19-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Proud to be suburban free.