+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Chipmunks - Help!

In my (unfortunate) experience:

Fox urine does NOT work. They just don't care about it. I haven't had the opportunity to try coyote urine, but I definitely would if I thought it would work. Oh, and you can get this stuff at stores where they sell hunting and fishing gear. But apparently they only carry it around hunting season.

They WILL undermine buildings built on slab foundations. We loved having the little critters around, and thought it was fun finding their little holes. Then a huge windstorm blew an apple tree onto our garage, right on top of the corner where they apparently had a huge den. It drove the wall down and cracked the foundation because the ground underneath wasn't solid anymore. And, at least in my case, insurance doesn't pay for damage caused by earth movement or critters.

Suddenly, they weren't so cute anymore. We found that there are great numbers of web sites with ways to kill them, and decided to try one way. Somebody said that Sweeney's Poison Peanuts are great at getting rid of chipmunks, even thought they're not listed on the label. Unfortunately, that seems to be wrong. I've been using those pellets since early May, and every time I block up their holes to see if they'll reopen them, they do. I've even put peanut butter on the pellets, and they still keep re-opening the holes. So if the pellets are killing them, there must be LOTS of them in there!

Anyway, that's my chipmunk story. I'd love to hear a success story from someone who was able to get rid of them.

I have heard of 5 people that have gotten rid of their chipmunks with Have a Heart traps. They use peanut butter to bait the traps. They release them miles from their house

The most humane way to rid your property of them is moth flake. If you can not find that get moth balls, put them in a sock and smash them with a hammer. Take the flake and place a small amount into each burrow. You may need to re-apply 2-3 days later. The active ingredient in moth balls is a great ropellant. Every time they make a new opening treat the area.Tha animals will get the picture. On the other hand they never enter a home to live, and they (as a pack) will keep rodents ( mainly rats) off your property, they are very territorial.

Have a hart traps will work, but you will be splitting up the clan, they will never find eachother after relocation. You will never catch them all at the same time. Fox urine only works if there are fox actively hunting them in that area. A large plastic prediator bird is effective.Make sure you move it daily, and purchace one that is in your area (owl or red tail hawk).I still suggest the previous post.

In a recent issue of TOH magazine (several months ago, I think) someone, maybe Roger, told of his experience with moth balls. He said he put them in the chipmunk holes, and the chipmunks brought them out and piled them neatly nearby. I'd love to find something that will run them off, but that doesn't sound very promising. Do you have experience with the moth balls, or are you relating a story?

And also, they may be great with rats (Maybe that's why we don't have any.), but they do NOT keep mice away. (We've got plenty!)

Maybe there are different varieties of chipmunk. What part of the country are you in, Matt?

If you are still having problems, you can try this. Wash out an old milk jug. Tip it over and cut an X in the side of it near the old bottom, now the top. Watch your yard or go to a hole you know the chipmunks come and go from. Put the milk jug in the hole, run your garden hose into the X and turn on the water. If they use multiple holes all the time, simply have your family put their foot over the other holes. The chipmunk will run up into the milk jug, pull the hose out and flip the jug rightside up, and put some duct tape over the X, and put the cap on. Now you have him/her and can do what you please, i.e. take him down the road to a neighbor you don't like and let him/her run out of the jug, make sure you get far enough away from your house. Or an in-humane solution would also guarentee they don't return. I have used this a lot and never once drowned the poor little annoying guys. If you happen to be the first person to not have them run out well at least the problem is solved. It is your yard and house or them! It can take a lot of water depending on how big this problem is of yours.

Well, this is hilarious!
    Yeah, it would take a lot of water, and a lot of feet, because they have a lot of holes! But this is great! I don't know if I'll try it, but I like it.
    Did you invent this yourself?

take a 5 gallon bucket 6-8 inches of water in it cover the water with sunflower seeds place a ramp of sorts to the edge of the bucket the chippers fall in can't get out and drown may be cruel to some but it does work

I really can't remember if someone else told me about it or if I thought of it, it has been that long. However I will tell you it works. Someone else has to try it and post the results. It has never taken more than 30 seconds of running the water for me to flush them into the milk jug. I agree with one of the other postings though. I have never seen chipmunks create mass burroughs, so they might be ground squirels.

More Recipe ideas:

1) Fish & Chimps

2) McMunk burgers