+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Angry Chipmunks - Help!

I'm in the Northeast and I have a chipmunk problem in my yard. I seem to have a large den of them. The den has multiple exits and I'm looking for humane suggestions of how I might lure them out so I can relocate them. Any ideas?

Default Re: Chipmunks - Help!

I know they have sprays at the local home center/garden center here that repel deer, raccoons and such...I haven't looked closely at the bottle to see if it repels chipmunks, but it may.

Otherwise, do a searh on-line for "chipmunk repellent" and a product called "Shake Away" is available. Never used it, but it says it's all natural.

Hope this helps!

You might try shaking some hot pepper (like you put on pizza) near a food source. It will keep them away from bird seed but I don't know if it will make them move.

Why do you want to get rid of the chipmunks? Do they cause damage? I have them in my yard and they don't seem to be a problem. Maybe they're doing something I don't know about!

Alfetta159 Guest

Never tried them myself...

http://www.old-fashioned-values.com/...ole-chaser.htm

(no affiliation)

Have you tried a cat?

Personally, I love chipmunks and enjoy having them around, but we did cover this a while back in the magazine, in Ask This Old House. Roger Cook suggested a repellent made with coyote or fox urine. If you can't find such a product at a garden center, try predatorpee.com. (We didn't ask how they go about collecting it!) You have to keep it up, too, or they'll just come back.

Maybe chipmunks don't cause a problem outside, but I know that feeling of wondering when your entire yard is going to collapse because it doubles as a chipmunk timeshare... And when weather cools, they WILL look for entry into your house. My problems were greatly reduced in two ways:

1) I cut off all entry to the house - this involved caulking and repairing all area where the wood foundation met the concrete basement wall inside AND OUTSIDE, and

2) Getting a Schipperke - a wonderful dog who loves to chase the buggers. He gets one or two a year, and really prefers to play with them rather than kill them, but he's scared them off for sure.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to find some repellant with fox / coyote urine and use that.

Update so far... Although the creatures are cute and my 2 year old loves them, my lamp post fell over last week, smashing glass all over my driveway. Under it I discovered yet another opening into that massive den I seem to be hosting. I also have a retaining wall that is at risk. I feel like I'm living Caddyshack!

I'll update everyone on how the repellant works.

B

Talking Re: Chipmunks - Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    Personally, I love chipmunks and enjoy having them around, but we did cover this a while back in the magazine, in Ask This Old House. Roger Cook suggested a repellent made with coyote or fox urine. If you can't find such a product at a garden center, try predatorpee.com. (We didn't ask how they go about collecting it!) You have to keep it up, too, or they'll just come back.
    I love chipmunks too.
    I like them done on the BBQ for about five minutes and basted in BBQ sauce.