+ Reply to Thread

Default kitchen countertop

How do I cover my kitchen countertop with tile? It has a rounded edge and a rounded splash.

Default Re: kitchen countertop

If you're going over Formica or other existing counter top, you can't. Pull the existing top and set a proper base of 3/4" plywood and either cement board or mortar base and then set the tile.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I don't understand? If the counter top is solidly glued why can't tiles be put on top?

Quote Originally Posted by phyllis View Post
    I don't understand? If the counter top is solidly glued why can't tiles be put on top?
    What do you do with the round edges and flat tile? What do you do with a top that has so much bounce and give that your tile and grout pop?

Quote Originally Posted by phyllis View Post
    The tile and grout won't stay stuck to Formica or man-made surfaces such as Corian. Flex - if you put any kind of weight on a Formica top, it will flex, popping and/or breaking tile and grout. It will likely create clearance issues at the sink and faucet. It's not the proper method of installation, which will result in problems and shortened lifespan and end up costing you more than doing it right the first time. It won't look good and will devalue your home.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!