+ Reply to Thread

Default bounce in ceiling joist

100 years old home 2x8x16 on 16" centers, balloon frame. what is the best way to reinforce? sister additional? plywood? cross braceing? 2nd story floors bounce,and the joist are exposed now so i would like to fix please help thanks

Default Re: bounce in ceiling joist

I know you will get other ideas but I think I would go with 1/2 plywood and another 2x8 glued and screwd to the orginal joist.

My preference is " steel plate sistered to old joist after it is jacked and leveled.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks so much does if matter the new joists will be shorter because i have to fit them up into pockets on either end?

Wink Re: bounce in ceiling joist

I would use either another 2x8 or engineered lumber to sister to the existing 2x8. Only make the new lumber slightly shorter so you can get it into BOTH pockets on either end. It will be stronger than just having it "floating" with the other joist. You have a structural support problem so I wouldn't add the 1/2" plywood to compound the problem. If you have bad flooring replace it. Hope this helps.

Calcats