+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation rough deck planks with protruding nails

I have a 10 yr old deck which I believe is pressure treated wood; it is rough & my grandchildren get splinters from it; also, the # 12 or 16 nails, used to attach it, are, in many cases, protruding.
    I need to know the best way to remedy the situation.
    I thought of setting the nails & filling the holes; then, sanding the entire deck with a commercial belt sander & applying preservative; my wife says that sanding will release toxic chemicals into the air.
    Help!

Default Re: rough deck planks with protruding nails

Just buy some foot thongs from the dollar store for the grand kids and forget it.

You will never sand it smooth enough, or finish it enough to make the lifted grain and eventual splinters go away.

You could replace it with a composite deck top.

I have learned that the "wife" says many things, but women are crazy and there is no logic at all involved. Women just deal with emotion.
    Last edited by NEC; 06-04-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Wink Re: rough deck planks with protruding nails

Sanding does produce toxins into the air. If you are willing to go to all that expense you mentioned, you might want to consider having a contractor remove the old decking and replace it with some type of composite decking. All of the old framework can remain including the railings. I would get at least 3 prices. You didn't mention how big the deck is but a good contractor could make short work of that type of job. Good Luck!

Calcats

Default Re: rough deck planks with protruding nails

Your deck is 10 years old? I wouldn't sand it down either. Your wife is right about the chemicals in pressure-treated decking prior 2004.

Unless your deck frame is in really good shape, don't waste your money on composite, unless your building new. Your best option would be to replace the decking with new pressure-treated decking and screw the decking down, then treat the decking with some stain once your deck has dried out.
    For all of you Hidden Content needs in Massachusetts & RI
    If you're in need of a new Hidden Content or Hidden Content click here.
    Or if you looking for new Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Smile Re: rough deck planks with protruding nails

Just hammer down any major nail heads and cover the whole deck with inexpensive indoor/outdoor carpet. Tack it on the edges so the wind doesn't take it and on seams if you have any. Try to make seems "out of the way" if possible. Yes this will not help the deck but even "the wife" will like the new look.