+ Reply to Thread

Default Plaster seamed with Drywall

I have a bathroom that is all plaster with a window half in my tub area and half out in the bathroom area. I am replacing my tub with a shower/tub unit and covering the window. I am palnning on putting drywall up over the window and the new wall that will be built. Can I seam the drywall with the plaster?? Will it work or even look good?? I have heard the two can be used and seamed next to each other.

Default Re: Plaster seamed with Drywall

This works well and if the seaming is done properly you can't tell the difference. Remember to insulate behind the drywall.

Are you removing the window or going to just cover over it? If you are just going to cover over it I think you may end up with a serious moisture problem behind the drywall covering the window especially during the cold weather. Also in the bathroom at a minimum you should use green board and not regular drywall. The green board is much more moisture resistant. You could also use the new paperless drywall known as Dense Armor which is mold resistant.

I will be insulating the inside and covering it with drywall. On the outside I will be isluating, boarding it up and re-siding the open area.
    I will definatley be using green board. I can tape right over the plaster/drywall seam? It will be just fine???