+ Reply to Thread

Default painting stained woodwork white

We have a 1955 split level that has stained woodwork(not in good condition) . We want to paint the woodwork white .-Any tips?
    TIA

Default Re: painting stained woodwork white

You're going to need to use a de-glosser or very light sand paper first, to give you a good surface for the new paint to bond to. Next use a good sealer like Kilz (oil based) and paint it with that, first. Next, paint it the color you want it to be. The Kilz should seal it and keep the color from bleeding through. Kilz is white too so it should work well for your white coat.

Good Luck.

Ditto on the above advice.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I'm halfway through doing this, so I'm not sure on the longevity of my method.

My advice is to use Zinsser primer rather than Kilz. The Kilz is much thicker, and the brush marks are very very obvious, so you need to sand after priming. But of course, being trim, when you sand all the primer comes straight off the high points and leaves the lower parts intact. And then you have to prime them again, and leave more brush marks.

My technique is to sand with a foam sanding block, two coats of Zinsser BIN primer, two coats of latex paint.