Default high hot water pressure

i'm having a high hot water pressure issue, much higher than my cold water, causing my shower pipes to vibrate, unless i turn on the bathroom faucet to relieve the pressure. currently my pressure reducing valve is on the cold water line, after the hot water line has already branched off to the water heater. could it be that i need a new expansion tank? or do i need to add a pressure reducing valve to my hot water line to the water heater? thanks

Default Re: high hot water pressure

Without knowing all the details and whether or not your T&P Valve is dripping, try to re-locate your pressure reducing valve. It should be on the main line as it enters the house. Inside the house or outside the house, it doesn't matter. Then measure your pressure in at least two places. If you get readings higher than 80, let us know.

yea the water t/p valve is not dripping. the pressure reducing valve is not on the main line after the main line enters the house. the main line comes in and 2 feet later, it branches, hot water line to water heater and cold water line with the pressure reducing valve. its a townhouse, so i would have to measure the water pressure at washer machine bibbs. thanks

The prv should be on the whole house , not just the cold side. it should be set at 75 to 80 lbs.

ok thanks, would having 2 prv's be a problem..

"...would having 2 prv's be a problem.."

You can have 20 PR valves, the question is why?

The first PRV, mounted where the main enters the house should do the job for the entire house...therefore, no additional valves are needed.

BTW, you should also have a main shut off right there, before the PRV.

Another consideration is that the WH temp is set too high.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb