+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacemant Windows--What to know?

With the tax credit this year, I want to put in some replacemant window inserts. What do I need to know? I have six general double hung windows. What do I have to remove? These have aluminum guides and springs on each side of the sash to hold the window up. I hear the measuresments are critical--from where to where? I know that I have to remove the stops. How about the trim--looks like that could stay. I have questions about the stool and the sill. ????? I have aluminum storm windows on the outside...apparently storm windows are a thing of the past. Thanks for advice in advance.

Default Re: Replacemant Windows--What to know?

In order to receive the newly updated tax rebate, your door or window must have a U-Factor of .30 or less to qualify. What is a U-Factor? U-Factor is a measure of the door or window’s overall energy-efficiency, many door and windows have U-Factors of .31 or .32 - those don’t qualify!

Be sure to check that out before you buy..
    For all of you Hidden Content needs in Massachusetts & RI
    If you're in need of a new Hidden Content or Hidden Content click here.
    Or if you looking for new Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Default Re: Replacement Windows--What to know?

Deck builder is right they must have the proper U factor to qualify, some wood clad thermals don't comply, but many Vinyl windows do.

Storms are not a thing of the past as they can greatly improve sound proofing and window efficiency. Only because thermal panes and weather stripping has improve over time that they have become less of a consideration.

You won't be able to re-use the storms you have as replacement windows are smaller than the sash openings are now and you won't be able to lean in the storms to remove them for cleaning.

When ordering I order windows, it is tip to tip so the manufacture doesn't reduce th opening sizes and make them too small for me. If you measure accurately and your openings are true, do not reduce the side measurement by 1/4 for a better fit, but only if you are accurate with you measurements.

If at all possible wrap all sills with aluminum coil with a brake (The tool used by professional vinyl siders and remodelers) You may be able to rent one.

Chalk the inside of the outside trim with a good quality silicone, before installation, or butyl chalk that is color matched to your windows or trim and set the window into it. Be neat.

If you have window weights (Old style) blow in insulation into that void before installation. Otherwise just pack fiberglass insulation around the joints. You may find that a roll of pipe insulation works well here as the insulation is sturdy and convenient to push in with an old wood shingle or your small flat bar.

Do not use spray foam.
    None work to your advantage in cleanliness or permanence.

Default Re: Replacemant Windows--What to know?

sorry about that ...yes. I think that may have been a spell check error.
    Save the chalk for school.