+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Replacement Vanity not as deep - vinyl floor too short

We are replacing our bathroom vanity and the new one is not as deep as the old one, by about 2 inches.

The problem is that the glued down vinyl floor we had put down last year, is cut and is now too short.

We have some left over but no piece is the length of the cut and we will have to use 2 pieces.

Other than removing the floor and putting in a new one, does anyone have any ideas on how to make the floor look good in front of the vanity. I don't even know what kind of adhesive to use to be sure it doesn't peel up over time.

Thanks!

Default Re: Replacement Vanity not as deep - vinyl floor too short

So you have a 2" gap, in front of the new vanity, between where the vinyl floor ends and where the new vanity sits?

I'm just an amateur, but I've never had much luck with patching vinyl flooring like that. The seams never turn out well for me. If you do decide to go that route, you'd patch it down with a mastic-adhesive you'd find at the hardware store.

Is the new vanity made of wood? Instead of patching the vinyl, maybe you could add some new trim to the vanity to cover the gap. A wider base, maybe a quarter-round shoe, might be enought to cover 2".

Just a thought... good luck!

Thank you!

It's 1 and 3/4 inches.

I did consider a front panel or something like that, that goes on the bottom, but they only make them 3/4" thick.

We are thinking of possibly looking into putting a thin piece of marble or cultured marble there. Then I guess we would have to strip back the vinyl to that point, since I don't think we could put the marble on top of the vinyl. But I'll ask about the installation once I order it.

Quote Originally Posted by msandi View Post
    We are thinking of possibly looking into putting a thin piece of marble or cultured marble there. Then I guess we would have to strip back the vinyl to that point, since I don't think we could put the marble on top of the vinyl. But I'll ask about the installation once I order it.
    The best thing would be to install new vinyl and maintain a water tight floor covering. Short of that, laying a piece of baseboard on it's side across the bare spot will work, as will a piece of marble. The major problem with this method is that it will be a toe biter. Whatever you use, be sure to caulk the perimeter at the floor to prevent water from getting under it. Also, you won't need to cut the vinyl any further, just lay the strip over the edge of the vinyl so that it aids in holding the raw edge down and provides a more water tight seal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thumbs up Re: Replacement Vanity not as deep - vinyl floor too short

Thank you for the advice on watertightness
    (new word, LOL)

Great idea.
    Not too much of a toe-biter, since it will be so narrow, plus at my mom's yesterday we stood in front of her sink and realized you don't really stand with your feet under that edge.

My husband is a caulk-a-holic, so that will be great.

Smoothest caulk lines I've ever seen.

You're welcome. You'd be surprised how much your toes sneak into the toe-kick cavity of the cabinet. Even though the trim strip should be fairly thin (I'd recommend no more than 1/2" thick ), you will feel it with your toes frequently. Whatever you use, just make sure it's got a nice long sloping edge such as a colonial style baseboard edge. This will keep the toe biting to a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by msandi View Post
    My husband is a caulk-a-holic, so that will be great.

Smoothest caulk lines I've ever seen.

Boy, there's a conversation that could get us into some trouble in a hurry! Saturday Night Live (or Mad TV) did a skit on caulking that was hilarious - but you didn't hear that from me.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!