Default Primer Choice for Plaster Repair

I am doing some minor wall repairs on my 1867 New Orleans house.
    I removed the wallpaper from the plaster walls in the dining room and some small areas of the white plaster topcoat delaminated from the base coat. I plan on skim coating (w/ setting compound) over these delaminated areas and also over some other roughly textured areas of the plaster topcoat. I have extensively scrubbed the walls w/ TSP to remove any and all wallpaper glue, but would also like to first apply a primer w/ good sealing and adhesive qualities to the wall before skim coating in order to start w/ a nice sealed surface that will also assist the setting compound in adhearing.
    Talking to a few of the manufacturers, I have it somewhat narrowed down to Behr No. 75 Enamel Undercoater (oil based) and the Glidden Gripper (water based) and I am leaning towards the Behr.
    Would any of you have any other preferences or input.
    Thanks so much,
    The knowledge that you all provide on this forum is priceless.
    Jason

Default Re: Primer Choice for Plaster Repair

APPS,

Behr's 75 Enamel Undercoater is also waterbased, as is Gripper. Both are excellent primer/sealers.

Default Re: Primer Choice for Plaster Repair

Calcimine Recoater sold at a Ben Moore dealer. This product works excellent on Plaster and really neutralized the calcium as well as seals it. If you don't neautralize exposed calcium in the plaster the water in compound or latex paint will cause the wall to bubble. Trust me.
    Come visit our painting website at Hidden Content